Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Case of the King Street Bagel Bandit

Today was a peculiar day in the life of Micky C. It began with me carrying out my usual duties at the Toronto software company where I work, and ended with me being a prominent part on one of my favourite sports podcasts/radio shows - Tim and Sid Uncut.

At a little after 11am I walked down to the Tim Hortons at the corner of King and John to get myself a 12 grain bagel with cream cheese, and a medium decaf coffee with milk. While waiting in line I noticed immediately behind me a young man who it occurred to me looked quite a bit like one Ryan "Hainser" Hains, a "personality" at The Score Television/Radio Network (I recognized him from his twitter profile, and a video segment that aired during the 2010 World Cup in which he was called upon to pronounce the names of various soccer players. Though when I first saw him I was confident it was Hainser, I wasn't certain of his identity until I heard him make his order - Hainser has a very distinct mumbly voice). I believe Hainser's primary job at The Score is producer, though on Tim and Sid Uncut he appears on a regular segment called "Hainser's Corner" (a play on Coach's Corner) in which Hainser answers questions posed by Sid and Tim in a quirky, often hilarious way.

Upon recognizing Hainser, I thought of getting his attention, and saying hello, but chose not to. I usually find it awkward to approach people you only know from TV or radio in order to say hello. Furthermore, my office is quite close to The Score studios, so I see people from the network on the street all the time. Anyhow, I proceeded to make my order and wait for my bagel to be ready. At this particular location when you order an item that takes some time to prepare, the cashier assigns you a number and asks you to wait to the side (my number was 20). Immediately afterward, Hainser, wearing red sneakers, and carrying a bottle of Orangina, ordered his extra large double-double coffee, and some sort of english muffin sandwich, and stood beside me wating for his food to be prepared (he apparently had been given the number 21). A couple of orders were called before mine, and then an employee emerged with a bag, calling out 20. Immediately, without even batting an eye, Hainser reached for my bagel order, though his order was 21. I was temporarily caught off guard, but owing to my lengthy arms was able to reach out and claim my bagel before my adversary could make off with my delicious pre-lunch snack. Hainser was unphased by what transpired, and continued to peacefully stand awaiting the next order.

Upon getting back to work I thought to myself that it would be worthwhile for me to bring this little story to the attention of the hosts of Tim and Sid, Tim Micallef and Sid Seixeiro. Two prominent features of the show are input from listeners, and having fun at the expense of Hainser, so the attempted bagel swipe was perfect. At 11:50 am I sent out the following tweet "@Sid_Seixeiro @tim_micallef #hainsertriedtostealmybagel at the Timmies on King". I was hoping the guys would get a kick out of the tweet, and at most tweet me back to get more information. However, I was shocked when I listened in at work five minutes into the show to hear Hainser being questioned on air as to whether or not he had made an attempt at stealing the bagel of one Ryan Micky C Barron - they actually opened the show talking about the bagel story. Pretty funny stuff, check it out here.

1 comment:

  1. Great day that will be remembered for a long time

    Bob

    ReplyDelete